Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Reading Fiction

I've recently been on school holidays.  I spent the two weeks absorbed in novels; reading and listening to them, 11 in total.  My head swimming with paranormal romance I've been a bit overrun by vampires, shape shifters and werewolves.
A highlight of my reading was "Extremely loud and incredibly close" by John Safran Foer.  About an Autistic child in New York struggling to accept the death of his father in the September 11 terrorist attack.

Here's a brief encounter of a few of the others:

  • "One long thread" by Belinda Jeffrey.  I like her writing.  I can sit through it. Not sure if teenagers will though; often quite morbid topics in her writing.
  • "Dead Actually" by Kaz Delaney.  About a very popular "mean girl" who dies and revisits as a ghost.  Good but not great.
  • "Chinese Cinderella" by Adeline Yen Mah.  True story of a Chinese girl growing up in horrible circumstances.
  • "Once" and "Then" by Morries Gleitzman. Historical fiction based on World War 2.  Good reads.  Would suit challenged reader in junior secondary.
  • "Breaking Dawn" by Stephanie Meyer. I couldn't help myself.  I needed something to listen to whilst out walking that was trashy.



No comments:

Post a Comment